I live in a cottage owned by a non-Jew. Do I affix a Mezuzah?

What is a Minyan?

Library » Mitzvot » Prayer » Laws and Customs | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The word Minyan (pronounced MIN-yin) actually means "count" or "number." In the context of Jewish observance it refers to the particular number 10.

Due to the profound sanctity naturally associated with certain prayers and rituals, it is required that they only be recited/performed in the presence of a "congregation". Such prayers include the Kaddish, barchu, kedusha, Torah reading etc.,

But how many people constitutes a "congregation"?

The smallest group of people to be called a congregation in the Torah were the spies1, concerning whom G-d told Moses:2 "Separate yourselves from amongst this evil congregation."

Since that congregation consisted of ten3 Jewish adult4 men, we infer that a "congregation" must consist of at least ten Jewish adult men.5

• 1. Moses sent spies to scout the land of Israel. See Numbers 13.
  • 2. Numbers 16:21
  • 3. There were a total of twelve spies but Joshua and Caleb were righteous, and were not included in the "evil congregation".
  • 4. In Jewish law a boy becomes an adult at 13.
  • 5. See Talmud Megillah 23b

Kaddish
A prayer sanctifying G-d's name which is sprinkled throughout the daily prayers and is recited by the leader of the services. This prayer is also recited by mourners during the first year of mourning, and on the anniversary of the death.
Minyan
A quorum consisting of ten adult male Jews. A minyan is necessary to recite the kaddish or to publicly read from the Torah scroll.