What does the word Chabad stand for?

What does the word 'Selah' mean?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » Miscellaneous » Hebrew / Languages » Hebrew | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

In the prayers, I see the Hebrew word 'Selah' is often simply 'translated' to English as 'Selah' - often in conjunction with the word 'Amen'. At other times it is translated to mean 'forever'. What does this word actually mean?

Answer:

One of the primary commentaries on the translation of words in Prophets and Writings - Metzudot Tzion - says that 'Selah' always means 'forever' (Tehillim 3:3).

However, another commentary - the Malbim - says that 'Selah' is used when there is a pause or stop. (Chavakuk 3:3, and also on Tehillim there).

Tehillim
The Book of Psalms. One of the 24 books of the Bible. Compiled by King David; mostly comprised of poetic praise for G-d. A large part of our prayers are culled from this book.