Do I need to do the Search for Chametz if I won't be home for Passover?

What do so many Jewish names start with 'J', if Hebrew does not have this letter in its alphabet?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » Miscellaneous » Hebrew / Languages » Other Languages | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

If there is no letter 'J' in the Hebrew alphabet, why are there so many words starting with it? Thanks, Joe

Answer:

That's the problem - the non-Jewish translators, took Hebrew names and changed them!

Yakov they changed to Jacob, Yirmiyah to Jeremiah, Yitro to Jethro - and countless others!

That is not all - Chavah they made into EVE, can anyone explain the logic to that?!?

Miscellaneous » Hebrew / Languages » Hebrew

Jacob
Third of the three Patriarchs and father of the Twelve Tribes. Lived most his life in Canaan and died in Egypt in 1505 BCE. Also known by the name of "Israel."
Jethro
Moses' father-in-law.
Jeremiah
1. Jewish prophet who lived in the 5th century BCE. 2. One of the 24 books of the Bible, containing the prophecies of Jeremiah. The book is replete with prophecies concerning the destruction of Jerusalem and the Holy Temple.