Do I have to believe the supernatural stories of the Torah?

The souls of deceased parents attending their childrens weddings

Library » Philosophy » Afterlife | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...How may I be of assistance?

Gavin: hi

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: shalom

Gavin: i don't know if you can help me, but i'm getting married in two weeks and the one thing i just keep thinking about is my mother who died two years ago

Gavin: she so wanted me to find a nice jewish girl and get married,, and i cant belive she won't be there to see it

Gavin: here's my question, according to jewish belief, wherever she is right now is she seeing what's going on down here with me?

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: the belief in an afterlife for the soul is a very basic jewish belief

Gavin: i know that, but is the soul all preoccupied with its reward in heaven? does it have the time or interest to follow the "news" down here?

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: there are two parts to the answer:

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: firstly, souls definitaly pay attention to what happens to those they lived when they were down here

Gavin: k

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: secondly, there is a well-known tradition that the deceased parents, grandparents and great-grandparents of the bride and groom come from their heavenly abode to join the wedding celebration.

Gavin: wow, that is so nice to hear

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: she'll be there and be celebrating with you

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: don't be depressed -- she's happy so should you!

Gavin: thanks rabbi, you've really copmforted me

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: you're welcome

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: visit again

deceased parents from gan eden at children's wedding

Posted by: Anonymous, chicago, il on Feb 03, 2007

can you give me the source for the saying that deceased ancestors come down to attend descendants wedding? I would like to add the hebrew verse on prayers to be said before the chupah.

thank you

R. Wolf, Chicago

The Holy Zohar (III pg. 219b) derives this from the verse (Psalms 149:2) "Yismach Yisrael B'osav" - "Israel will rejoice with its makers" - all of the participants in a person's creation partake in his rejoicing. This includes G-d and one's parents. The Holy Zohar states that even if the parents have passed away, G-d removes them from their place in Gan Eden (the Garden of Eden) and brings them to partake in the joyous occasion. This applies to any form of rejoicing that is "inviting of G-d's presence." The Frierdiker Rebbe - Rabbi Yosef Yitzchak of Lubavitch added that this includes three generations of ancestors and many more from even earlier generations.

Life Cycle » Marriage » The Wedding
Life Cycle » Death » Afterlife