How should we react to our daughter having a non-Jewish boyfriend?

How do I prepare myself for my personal Day of Judgement?

Library » Philosophy » Afterlife | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Perhaps this statement from the Talmud1   will help:

The following are the first questions the Heavenly Court poses to each new arrival:

1) Were you honest in all your business dealings?

Were you honest in all your business dealings?
2) Did you have established times to study Torah in the morning and evening?

3) Did you engage in procreation?2

4) Did you yearn for the Salvation?

5) Did you approach life with objective wisdom?

6) Did you suffice with what was taught to you, or did you use that information to infer other concepts?3

• 1. Talmud Shabbat 31a.
  • 2. According to the Talmudic commentator Maharsha, the question is whether the person participated in “hachnasat kallah” – participating in the wedding costs of orphans and paupers. Perhaps this specific question is a general allusion to the person’s charitable disposition.
  • 3. According to chassidic teachings, this is a veiled reference to a person’s ability to recognize the Divine reality concealed behind nature’s veil. Do we only recognize that which is plainly apparent, or de we use the information provided to us to deduce that there must be a Prime Mover who provides life and existence to all?

Life Cycle » Death » Afterlife