When do I wear Tefillin?

Rachela: what does "a sweet year" mean?

Library » Holidays » Rosh Hashanah » About | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Gurkow: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

Rachela: what does "a sweet year" mean?

Rabbi Gurkow: a year in which everything that one experiences is pleasant

Rachela: thank you; you are very kind...

Rabbi Gurkow: the term can be traced back to a Kabbalistic concept -- to sweeten the judgement

Rachela: Ah! Very good; anything else?

Rabbi Gurkow: Kabbalah uses euphemisms to help us conceptualize abstract ideas

Rabbi Gurkow: judgement is called bitter, and leniency is called sweet

Rabbi Gurkow: sweeten the judgment, means to introdice leniency in the judgement

Rachela: Makes a lot of sense; tnk u!

Rabbi Gurkow: your welcome

Rabbi Gurkow: thank you for coming to ask Moses

Kabbalah
Jewish mysticism. The word Kaballah means "reception," for we cannot physically perceive the Divine, we merely study the mystical truths which were transmitted to us by G-d Himself through His righteous servants.
Kabbalistic
(adj.) Pertaining to Kabbalah—Jewish mysticism.