Why is it so important to study Chassidut?

Why do we use a ram's horn for a Shofar?

Library » Holidays » Rosh Hashanah » Shofar | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Shlomo: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's on your mind?

sally: why do we use a rams horn as a Shofar

Rabbi Shlomo: Because at the binding of Isaac a Ram was offered as a sacrifice instead of Isaac. The ram thus reminds us and G-d of Abraham and Isaac's tremendous dedication to G-d, and we hope that this "memory" will stand in our favor on this day of judgement.

Rabbi Shlomo: The binding of Isaac actually happened on Rosh Hashanah

sally: thank you very much

Rabbi Shlomo: my pleasure

Holidays » Rosh Hashanah

Rosh Hashanah
The Jewish New Year. An early autumn two day holiday marking the creation of Adam and Eve. On this day we hear the blasts of the ram's horn and accept G-d's sovereignty upon ourselves and the world. On Rosh Hashanah we pray that G-d should grant us all a sweet New Year.
Shofar
The horn of a Kosher animal. The Shofar is sounded on the holiday of Rosh Hashanah, and is intended to awaken us to repentance. Also blown to signify the conclusion of the Yom Kippur holiday.
Abraham
First Jew, and first of our three Patriarchs. Born into a pagan society in Mesepotamia in 1812 BCE, he discovered monethieism on his own. He was told by G-d to journey to the Land of Canaan where he and his wife Sarah would give birth to the Jewish People.
Isaac
Second of the three Jewish Patriarchs, son of Abraham and Sarah. Lived in Canaan (Israel); b. 1712 BCE, d. 1532 BCE.