How do you know the Torah is really the word of G-d?

Why does G-d give us annoying little siblings?

Library » Daily Life » Family Life | Subscribe | What is RSS?

sisters: why does Hashem give ppl little sisters who write on walls and wake ppl up at night and cut up your skirts to fit them and uchhhhhh.. really... why?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein Chein: to bring out the love and patience in you

sisters: isnt that what being a parent is for?

Rabbi Shlomo: Yes parents do learn a lot of love and pateince, but that is not the only reason why one is a parent. But you are not a parent, so this has nothing to do with parents. This has to do with you and your sister. And Hashem wants to see how much love and patience you have for you sister, so He can see how much love and patience He should have for you

sisters: really so he can see how to have love and patience for me?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: yes

sisters: is there a source for that?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: The Maggid of Mezritch says it1 - he says that Hashem watches how we deal with others to know how to deal with us

sisters: oh ok, thank you

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: sure

sisters: i if someone has in the past not been so nice to their sister

sisters: and they start to work on it

sisters: then does Hashem change His mind on how to deal with us?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: sure He will!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: That is exactly what He wants to see - He wants to see us work on our patience and love for others, especially family members, than He knows we are deserving of His love and patience

sisters: oh ok thats good then!!! thanks!

sisters: have a good evening!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: you too

• 1. See Sefer Hama'amarim (Melukat) vol. 5 p. 161.

Mitzvot » Love thy Neighbor
Jewish Identity » Love thy Neighbor
Philosophy » Character
Life Cycle » Marriage » Family Life
Best of AskMoses » Philosophy

Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.