Rachela: what does "a sweet year" mean?

What do Jews do for entertainment?

Library » Daily Life » Family Life | Subscribe | What is RSS?

There are many million of Jews in the world and I am sure they do many different things for entertainment. However, I will try to respond to your question from a somewhat religious perspective.

The need for entertainment is usually symptomatic of a life which is lacking excitement. This often happens when life becomes a monotonous routine, or when a person has been undergoing stress. Some times we just haven’t had a good laugh or a good time in a while so we look for “entertainment.”

While one does not normally think of religion as “entertainment,” ironically enough, when one is occupied with religion life is quite entertaining on its own
While one does not normally think of religion as “entertainment,” ironically enough, when one is occupied with religion life is quite entertaining on its own. In Jewish tradition, every weekend we “entertain” our family and guests with an elegant Shabbat dinner and lunch. Throughout the year there are constantly holidays that come in all shapes and sizes and offer various forms of a break from the norm, and are therefore quite “entertaining.” Then there are life cycle events—a birth, a circumcision, a Bar Mitzvah, a wedding etc., that provide more “entertainment” simply by participating in a joyous event that is “built in” to the religion

Judaism is packed with story telling, reading, music, family time, friend time, performances, parades and picnics.

There is so much entertainment in Judaism that is common to hear a Jew say “there is never a dull moment” – and now you know that this is meant quite literally!

Philosophy » Religion
Life Cycle » Marriage » Family Life