Why does contact with a dead body cause spiritual impurity?

Genetic Screening & Special Needs Children

Library » Daily Life » Family Life | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mrs. Danow: Hi, how can I help you?

student: what are the jewish views on prenatal genetic screening?

Mrs. Danow: Depends on the situation

Mrs. Danow: many tests have risks to the baby

Mrs. Danow: also its only worth doing if you are going to take some action that is Halachicly permissable

Mrs. Danow: Judasim believes that every soul is special and has its specific purpose in the world

student: does the jewish religion agree to aborition?

Mrs. Danow: only in cases where the mothers life may be in danger1

Mrs. Danow: believe you me, I am not just speaking

Mrs. Danow: as a mother of a child with special needs I know what I am speaking about

Mrs. Danow: Its not easy, but its not up to us to decide what is perfect

student: thats true

Mrs. Danow: and they say that each soul chooses its parents; we have been chosen for a task,

Mrs. Danow: it would be ungrateful to then refuse entry to this soul to the world

Mrs. Danow: and more then that, I am truly grateful to G-d and my son for choosing me

Mrs. Danow: I wouldnt have wanted to have prenatal tests which would only confuse me

Mrs. Danow: of course if they could do things to the baby before he is born to give him a better chance for life then its a possible option, but whatever the case, one should consult an orthodox rabbi

student: so you would not be going against your religion if you aborted a child that wasnt healthy? does that mean it varies for each individual?

Mrs. Danow: No, abortion would be a problem! I meant if they could do some operation while still in utero, like heart surgery

Mrs. Danow: if the mothers life is in danger it might be allowed to abort, since the baby is putting his mothers life in danger

Mrs. Danow: but all situations must go to an orthodox Rabbi

student: ok thankyou for your time

student: you were really helpful

Mrs. Danow: you are very welcome

Mrs. Danow: hope this is all theoretical and not an actual sad situation

Mrs. Danow: take care

• 1. Editor’s note: If it is determined that the baby will be born with an illness that will definitely result in much suffering and death at an early age, abortion might be permitted and a qualified rabbi should be consulted. However, if there is only suspicion of illness, or if the illness is non-life threatening (such as Down syndrome for example), Jewish law generally prohibits abortion in this case.

Miscellaneous » Health Issues
Miscellaneous » Health Issues » Medical Ethics
Life Cycle » Marriage » Family Life