Was Adam Jewish?

Are tattoos permitted under any circumstances?

Library » Miscellaneous » Vows | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...

tattoos: Hello how are you?

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: thanks G-d & U?

tattoos: very well thank you..

tattoos: I have a question about tatooing and keeping promises

tattoos: my problem...

tattoos: so my sister is my best friend in the world and i cant live without her..

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: wonderful

tattoos: we made a promise to eachother that we would do something eternally bonding on her 18th birthday and that is coming soon...a sister tattoo..

tattoos: well, i have been over the course of a yr or so been becoming more observent...

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: I c

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: as a rule we are not bound my oaths that violate a Biblical law

tattoos: i think tattoos are beautiful if they have lots of thought and care..which we have thought a lot about...i was told that the Torah says if its not for mutilation then its accepted

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: thats is simply UNTRUE

tattoos: oh...

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: all permanent tatoos are prohibited

tattoos: why are they so taboo?

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: becuase our bodies belong to G-d

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: and we are not free to graffiti

Rabbi Yakov Latowicz: :)

great...

Posted by: Ezequiel on May 02, 2006

but what happen when i already have one (..or more)?

There is no obligation to remove them. However, if they make you uncomfortable, and/or remind you of a time in your life you'd rather put behind you, you certainly might want to consider having them removed.

Mitzvot » Prohibitions