How can I be happy if I am always feeling guilty about past sins?

What are the customs followed during the sheva brachot week?

Library » Life Cycle » Marriage » Sheva Brachot | Subscribe | What is RSS?

• The first week of marriage is celebrated by the newlywed couple in holiday fashion. Shabbat finery is worn throughout, and neither of them goes to work. When the groom goes to the synagogue to pray, the entire congregation omits the Tachanun (confessional sections of the prayers which are omitted on festive days of the Jewish calendar) in honor of the holiday atmosphere generated by the guest.
  • It is customary for the groom to be called up to the Torah for an Aliyah on the Shabbat after the wedding.
  • As mentioned in previous bulletins, the bride and groom receive royal treatment the entire first week of marriage. Accordingly, the newlywed couple, whether together or individually, doesn’t leave their home unaccompanied—they are accompanied by an “honor-guard” wherever they go.
  • Under certain circumstances the bride and groom may be exempt from fasting on certain Jewish fast days if they happen to occur during the first week of marriage. A rabbi should be consulted for an actual Halachic ruling.

Halachic
Pertaining to Jewish Law.
Tachanun
Sections of the prayers involving confession and asking for forgiveness. Tachanun is omitted from the prayers on the festive days of the Jewish calendar.
Aliyah
Literally means to rise up. Has two popular meanings: 1. Being called up to the Torah scroll and recite the blessings when the Torah is being read. 2. To emigrate to the Holy Land.