How do I end a relationship when all I wanted was a friendship?

What do we know about the fate of Moses' children?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » History » Desert Sojourn | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

Can you please tell me if anyone knows if anything is written about Moses's children and grandchildren after the years in the desert?

Answer:

Chronicles I states:

But as for Moses, the man of God-his sons were to be called in the tribe of Levi. The sons of Moses; Gershom and Eliezer.The sons of Gershom; Shebuel the chief. And the sons of Eliezer were; Rehabiah the chief, and Eliezer had no other sons, but the sons of Rehabiah multiplied greatly."1

No word of blessing that issued from the mouth of the Holy One, blessed be He, even if based upon a condition, was ever withdrawn by Him.
The Talmud says:

"No word of blessing that issued from the mouth of the Holy One, blessed be He, even if based upon a condition, was ever withdrawn by Him. How do we know this? From our teacher Moses. For it is said:2 "Let me alone, that I may destroy them, and blot out their name from under heaven; and I will make of thee a nation mightier and greater than they". Though Moses prayed that this might be mercifully averted and it was cancelled, [the blessing] was nevertheless fulfilled towards his children. For it is said: The sons of Moses: Gershom and Eliezer ... And the sons of Eliezer were Rehabia the chief ... and the sons of Rehabiah were very many. And R. Joseph learnt: They were more than sixty myriads."3

• 1. Chronicles I 23:14-17
  • 2. Exodus 32:10
  • 3. Talmud Tractate Berachot 7a

Joseph
Firstborn son of Rachel and Jacob. Because he was Jacob's favorite son, his brothers conspired against him and sold him into slavery He ended up in Egypt where he became viceroy of the land, and eventually brought his entire family to Egypt. Died in 1451 BCE.
Chronicles
The final book of the Bible. This book summarizes the events described in the first 23 books of the Bible, from Creation until the destruction of the 1st Temple.
Levi
1. Name of Patriarch Jacob's third son. 2. A Levite -- a Jew who is a patrilineal descendant of Levi. Levites had special duties in the Holy Temple, and are still accorded special respect.