Do I have to put on tefillin if I have a cast on my arm?

Why does contact with a dead body cause spiritual impurity?

Library » Jewish Identity » Kohains and Levites » The Holy Tribe | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Impurity stems from the forces of Klipah. Klipah is the power of anti-divinty, the force which tries to deter us from doing G-d's will.

But from where does klipah receive its energy? After all, G-d created everything and He is the only source of all existence.

The answer is that Klipah has two sources of energy:

1. G-d allots to klipah a very minimal amount of energy, just enough for it to be able to subsist. G-d wants klipah to exist because without its presence we wouldn't have any free-choice, for we would have no urge or desire to defy G-d's will.

Klipah desires to receive more energy, and Klipah recognizes that the recipient of the greatest amount of G-dly energy is the human being, and more specifically, the Jew. So Klipah becomes a parasite. It uses every possible opportunity to try to leach off the soul energy of the Jew
2. Klipah, however, desires to receive more energy, and Klipah recognizes that the recipient of the greatest amount of G-dly energy is the human being, and more specifically, the Jew.

So Klipah becomes a parasite. It uses every possible opportunity to try to leach off the soul energy of the Jew.

It accomplishes its goal in many ways.

(1) When a Jew sins, he/she is diverting divine energy to the Klipah.

(2) When a Jew sleeps, the body is inhabited by Klipah. This is the reason why we wash our hands when waking up in the morning.

(3) Most importantly, when a person dies and the soul leaves the body, the body is entered by the forces of klipah who gain sustenance from the residue and traces of life-force which remain. For this reason the body emits a very high level of impurity.