How do I study Torah?

Why am I not supposed to look at the Kohanim during the Priestly Blessings?

Library » Jewish Identity » Kohains and Levites » Priestly Blessing | Subscribe | What is RSS?

There are two reasons why one is not supposed to look at the Kohanim while they are duchening:

(1) One is not supposed to look at anything during duchening. Instead one should look at the ground and concentrate on the blessing. Looking at the Kohanim could be distracting.

(2) When the Holy Temple stood in Jerusalem, the Divine Presence would shine on the fingers of the Kohanim as they would bless the Jews, and no one was allowed to look out of respect for G-d. Today we continue this practice as a reminder of what duchening was like in the past.

TAGS: duchen, duchenin

Mitzvot » Prayer » Laws and Customs
Mitzvot » Prayer » Priestly Blessing
Holidays » General Information » Priestly Blessing

Kohanim
Plural form of Kohain. Priests of G-d. This title belongs to the male descendants of Aaron, brother of Moses. The primary function of the Kohain was to serve in the Holy Temple. Today the Kohain is still revered and it is his function to recite the Priestly Blessings on certain occasions.
Jerusalem
Established by King David to be the eternal capital of Israel. Both Temples were built there, and the third Temple will be situated there when the Messiah comes.