Should I go to the Mikvah even though my partner and I are not married?

Why does G-d allow the innocent and good to suffer?

Library » Best of AskMoses | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Hurt: why do you think that G-d allows the innocent and good to suffer?

Rabbi Gurkow: there are many reasons for suffering

Hurt: for what reason?

Rabbi Gurkow: some times people suffer because they are not 100% innocent, rather they have a number of sins for which they need to be punished

Rabbi Gurkow: and G-d does them the favor of punishing them in this world rather than in the more acute world to come

Hurt: so do people who do good deeds and yet still suffer in this world get their reward in the next world?

Rabbi Gurkow: they do

Rabbi Gurkow: yet sometimes Hashem makes us suffer not to punish us, but to test us

Rabbi Gurkow: and the purpose is to receive reward for overcoming the test

Rabbi Gurkow: so it's an opportunity

Rabbi Gurkow: and at times hashem simply makes us suffer because suffering refines the character and makes one more spiritually adept and sensitive

Rabbi Gurkow: so we don’t really know why people suffer, and the truth is we don’t need to know. What we need to know is to help people alleviate the suffering

Hurt: i think that sometimes when one suffers it brings them closer to G-d as well

Rabbi Gurkow: that is what i meant when i said that they become more spiritual

Hurt: if one suffers they grow in their ability to feel sympathy for others and understand them on a much greater level

Rabbi Gurkow: that is also true

Hurt: thank you for your help

Hurt: bye bye:-))

Rabbi Gurkow: bye now

Philosophy » Consequences
Philosophy » Pain and Suffering
Best of AskMoses » Philosophy

Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.