How can Jews be expected to be happy when they are not allowed to have any fun?

I’m disabled and suffer extreme pain in my mind and body. Has G-d forsaken me?

Library » Best of AskMoses | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

Rabbie has G-d forsaken me ime disabled and suffer with exterme pain in my mind and body i have no peace in my life is there anything you might suggest

Answer:

I am sorry to hear this and I feel for you.

I must preface by saying that under these challenging circumstances any answer, explanation, or insight is not meant to undermine the feeling of pain, nor is it meant to deprive you of your right to express that feeling. It is merely an effort to offer perspective, meaning, and purpose in order to help you deal with this pain.

The Talmud1 says that G-d does not give one a challenge he cannot overcome. This means if one has a bigger challenge in life they also have the necessary powers to deal with it. If they are lacking in one area, they possess abundance in another area. If they feel inferior in some ways, they are superior in others.

Spend at least twenty minutes every morning thinking about your abilities. During these minutes do not allow your mind to think about your disabilities
When a group of wounded Israeli soldiers, some missing body parts or limbs, came in their wheelchairs to visit the Lubavitcher Rebbe, he told them that if they are weak physically it must mean they have the potential to be strong mentally, emotionally and/or spiritually.

The challenge is to be able to look past the disabilities and focus on your amazing abilities.

G-d has not forsaken you, my friend. If you are still living that means G-d has a purpose for YOU in this world, a purpose no other human being can fulfill.

And if G-d has a purpose for you, He surely gives you the means with which to accomplish that task.

So my suggestions for you are:

Seek and find the best medical treatment possible. If you need help, contact a support group or local organization which offers such services.

Seek help for your mind as well. Find a Rabbi, therapist, and/or support groups that can help you carry yourself through the tough times.

Spend at least twenty minutes every morning thinking about your abilities. During these minutes do not allow your mind to think about your disabilities—just think about things you can do, things you like to do, and things that will make an impact of some sort for yourself and maybe even for those around you.

And remember, it is the little things that ultimately make the biggest changes. Even the biggest of mansions is started by laying down one single brick.

Finally, never forget the power of Prayer. Speak to G-d, ask for His help and guidance, and ask Him to cure you.

May the L-rd grant you a complete and speedy recovery.

• 1. Talmud tractate Avodah Zarah 3a

In ref to the disabled person with mind pain also

Posted by: Rebecca, Shenandoah, VA on Jul 18, 2006

You have helped me in a way that you do not know. I also experience extreme pain every day of my life and I feel total isolation from people around me because unless they too have felt it then there is no way that they could possibly comfort me. I only wish that I could communicate with this individual and perhaps feel at peace.

Thank you again

Everyday Pain

Posted by: Anonymous on Jan 01, 2008

I'm 26 years old and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 years ago. I am in constant pain, sometimes so bad, I can't get out of bed. I thought for a few years I was having normal pain...everbody felt this way. And then I had a doctor who said NO WAY!!! It was then that I was diagnosed, sent to the right doctors and physical therapists and started feeling a little better. I continue to have problems and my previous career was very physical and was sometimes almost impossible to do. After a lot of thought, some prayer, and some family guidance and advice, I've decided to go back to school to pursue a PhD. Instead of suffering in a physically demanding, overly stressful job, I decided to pursue a career where I can help people and make a difference in the world, without suffering. It's really hard living with pain, but have faith and have strength. You will be guided to make a difference and not be miserable.

Disabled and Pain

Posted by: Anonymous, Coventry, CT on Jan 03, 2008

Thank you so very much for your post! I too am disabled and in pain and sometimes it becomes so overwhelming that you really can't think of the obvious.. I appreciate your ability to understand what our lives must be like without disregarding it.. yet you let us know that as real as it is that we can with effort still live productive lives!

Philosophy » Pain and Suffering
Miscellaneous » Health Issues » Medical Ethics
Best of AskMoses » Philosophy

Lubavitcher
One who follows the teachings of the Chassidic group which was formerly based in the Belarus village of Lubavitch. Today, the movement is based in Brooklyn, New York with branches worldwide. The Lubavitch movement is also widely known as "Chabad."