Can I read or hear the Megillah in any language?

Going to school on Yom Kippur?

Library » Best of AskMoses | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Shlomo: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's on your mind?

max: studying on Yom Kippur, is it allowed? how about going to lectures?

max: hi, I want to know if it is forbidden according to the Torah to attend lecture in college on yom kippur?

Rabbi Shlomo: let me ask you a question?

Rabbi Shlomo: do you like President Obama?

max: is this relevant to my question?

Rabbi Shlomo: yes

max: I initially liked President Obama like most of the crowd's first impressions of him, but I have recently had a discussion with a fellow jewish friend from Florida who has told me that he is not all he's cracked up to be

Rabbi Shlomo: :-

Rabbi Shlomo: :-)

Rabbi Shlomo: fair enough

max: I am not well informed of his policies to be honest with you

max: I am a foreign citizen

Rabbi Shlomo: now, what's if you got a call from Obama's secretary that Obama was concerened about your opinion about him lately, and He wants to spend the day with you to work it out.

Rabbi Shlomo: Would you take him up on his offer?

max: At first I guess I'd be concerned I'd leave his office completely convinced that he is totally right for us

max: maybe I wouldn't go alone

Rabbi Shlomo: fair enough.

Rabbi Shlomo: So if he lets you bring two friends, including the friend from Florida; do you accept the offer?

max: I think I would yes

Rabbi Shlomo: nice

Rabbi Shlomo: meeting in the white house with the US President!

Rabbi Shlomo: So he sets the date, November 28th.

max: ok yes, but you still haven't answered my question

max: ok

Rabbi Shlomo: Would you consider "standing him up" and spending your day at university lectures instead?

max: I think I would miss the lectures for an opportunity to talk to him, it's not everyday one can meet the president

Rabbi Shlomo: smart kid

Rabbi Shlomo: Now, don't get me wrong; unlike many people (especially where I live) I don't think Obama is god.

Rabbi Shlomo: However, it is important to visualize. Because...

Rabbi Shlomo: during the course of the year we have our moments when we are really in love with G-d, Torah, Judaism etc, and then we have our moments when we have our "issues".

Rabbi Shlomo: Once a year G-d sets a date in which we can put all issue aside and open our hearts and souls

Rabbi Shlomo: we can rekindle the relationship - or at least explore doing so

max: I see

Rabbi Shlomo: G-d allows us to bring our friends. As a matter of fact, He encourages that we meet up together with our community, family and friends.

Rabbi Shlomo: He sets a date, in His home - the Synagogue, and promises us undevided attention on that day.

Rabbi Shlomo: How can we miss it!

max: that is well put

max: I am definitely able to miss one day's lectures in this perspctive

max: thank you for helping me

Rabbi Shlomo: my pleasure, and enjoy the Date with G-d!

max: thanks, shana tova

Holidays » Yom Kippur » The Prayers
Best of AskMoses » Holidays

Yom Kippur
Day of Atonement. This late-autumn high-holiday is the holiest day of the year. We devote this day to repentance and all healthy adults are required to fast.