Why don't I feel like the Torah I study is affecting me?

Moses gives hope, G-d gives life!

Library » Best of AskMoses » Life Cycle | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mrs. Shaffer: Welcome......how can I help you?:)

anonymous: hello- my husband and i are having problems with infertility. other than tehilim [Ed. note: Pslams], Mikvah [Ritual Immersion], Tzedakah [Charity], medical advice- what else can we do??

Mrs. Shaffer: how deeply have you explored all of the above?

anonymous: very, and currently am going through several medical procedures

anonymous: i need something to hold on for hope, because it's a very tough road

Mrs. Shaffer: tell me a bit about you and your husand...

Mrs. Shaffer: how long have you been married?

anonymous: we've been married for x years

Mrs. Shaffer: ok

anonymous: trying through surgeries(him first) than multiple inseminations for at least 1year

Mrs. Shaffer: and have you been diagnosed with any specific medical issue?

anonymous: not really- but possibly xxxxxxxxxx and/or xxxxxxxxxx

anonymous: his side now is resolved, after a very successful procedure

Mrs. Shaffer: ok

Mrs. Shaffer: have physicians given you reason to believe that you couldn't conceive naturally?

anonymous: not exactly, but through 4 inseminations (which are kind of like exxagerations of natural) did not work

anonymous: if this following one does not work, they are talking laparoscopy and then IVF-- but the process is soo painful ( in ALL senses) and i just am not giving up, because I simply can't!! but need to find lots of strenght

Mrs. Shaffer: ok

Mrs. Shaffer: the thing is this:

Mrs. Shaffer: you will, with G-d's help and blessing, have children :)

Mrs. Shaffer: but you do not know the path that will lead to motherhood....so, essentially, you have to do whatever you can, knowing that you will have children, and for some reason G-d sent you on this path....

anonymous: what else should I/we do? I was always soo healthy and no problems like this in my family, so it's a complete surprise

Mrs. Shaffer: have the two of you studied the laws of mikvah [Ed. note: laws of Family Purity] again recently?

anonymous: no

Mrs. Shaffer: that's something you can do....to relearn all the laws of mikvah....

Mrs. Shaffer: also...

Mrs. Shaffer: when you pray for a child...pray on behalf of someone else as well...

Mrs. Shaffer: we know that this Mitzvah, mikvah, has been closely connected, spiritually, to having children....

Mrs. Shaffer: so...in addition to your own observance

Mrs. Shaffer: why not engage some friends or acquaintances who may not yet be aware of its importance (whether or not they've got children) in discussion about it....and try to do something that would enhance mikvah observance for someone else

anonymous: i see, thank you

anonymous: thank you VERY much for your thoughtful words and I'll keep them in mind and try to do as much as I can!

anonymous: have a good day

Mrs. Shaffer: and I wish yuou all the best

Mrs. Shaffer: please do not hesitate to contact me at any tiem if I can be of any help

Mrs. Shaffer: you can always find me here either live, or via email

anonymous: TY soooo much!

Ten months later...

anonym: this is a follow-up that will make you very happy...

Mrs. Shaffer: ok...

anonym: remember approximately 10 months ago I asked you about other things to do so my fertility treatment would finally work?...

anonym: your words were (since i kept them):

anonym: the thing is this:

anonym: you will, with G-d's help and blessing, have children :)

anonym: : but you do not know the path that will lead to motherhood....so, essentially, you have to do whatever you can, knowing that you will have children, and for some reason G-d sent you on this path....

anonym: well i now have a beautiful 5 week-old baby!!

anonym: i so wanted to let you know, since you gave me great advice, courage and strength

Mrs. Shaffer: mazal tov!!!

Mrs. Shaffer: :)

Mrs. Shaffer: what wonderful news...and you're quite right...it makes me very happy!

Intimacy » Reproductive Issues
Life Cycle » Birth » Reproductive Issues
Life Cycle » Marriage » Family Purity » Inspirational Tales

Tzedakah
"Tzedakah," commonly translated as charity, literally means righteousness, or the right thing to do. Giving to those in need is one of the most important of G-d's commandments.
Mikvah
A ritual bath where one immerses to become spiritually pure. After her menstrual cycle, a woman must immerse in the Mikvah before resuming marital relations.
Family Purity
Laws relating to intimacy between husband and wife. The primary point of Family Purity is the woman's purifying immersion in a ritual bath which allows the couple to resume intimate relations after the woman's menstrual period.