Is vodka or hard liquor Kosher for Passover?

Do I have to believe the supernatural stories of the Torah?

Library » Best of AskMoses » Torah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Chana Doe: I don't believe in the whole concept of Moshiach

Chana Doe: it's too wierd

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: do you believe in the Exodus from Egypt"?

Chana Doe: yes

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: is that not too wierd

Chana Doe: no

Chana Doe: because it's an exodus. we escaped. but moshiach is different... it give supernatural powers/qualities to a person

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: what do you mean we escaped?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: do you believe in the ten plagues, do you believe in the story about Moses

Chana Doe: not all of it

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: do you believe in miracles?

Chana Doe: yes but not in the way that you are talking about

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: can you explain

Chana Doe: I believe there can be miracles in modern science like if someone is sick and they are suppsed to die but they don't

Chana Doe: I don't believe in supernatural powers

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: ok - so you don't believe in the splitting of the red sea or the manna that fell from heaven?

Chana Doe: no

Chana Doe: moses did not part that red sea because that is impossible

Chana Doe: I think it was low tide

Chana Doe: but back then they didn't know what low tide was

Chana Doe: I don't believe in the bible word for word

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: who do you think made the bible

Chana Doe: rabbis, scholars, prophets

Chana Doe: I don't think it was written by G-d or that G-d spoke to moses on top of that mountain

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: why do you think so -- i mean seriously, you really think that! don't you know the whole thing was just made up about 2000 years ago

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: i mean don't tell me you believe in this whole "Jewish people" thing

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: there is no such thing!

Chana Doe: first, what was made up about 2000 years ago?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: the bible!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: it was written by some Persian poet named Moses Azuzian

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: the whole concept that there is a religion or "people" called jews with laws and homepland is just a metaphor

Chana Doe: I don't know what you are talking about

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: there were never such people called Abraham or Issac, or the Jews

Chana Doe: what?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: they were never in Egypt and they never heard G-d at the foot of Mount Sinai

Chana Doe: yes, there were

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: says who?

Chana Doe: it's in the bible

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: the bible is not meant to be taken literally -- come on, you just told me that as well

Chana Doe: right, its not

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: exactly!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: And when it says there that there is a people called "Jews" and they have laws, and a homeland, and a history, that is not literal

Chana Doe: I believe that abraham, and Isaac lived etc. but how do we really know that G-d spoke to moses.? Some of it is metaphoric

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: it is all poteic, it is part of a vision of some ancient poet -- there is no proof to any of it... there were a people who decided to ride on the fame of the book - which was popular at the time - and so they called themselves the jews, and the rest is history

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: why do you believe that abraham and isaac lived?

Chana Doe: So, I guess it's all a strange concept. I mean I do seem to pick and choose what I believe from the Torah. I believe that abraham, isaac, and Jacob existed and were our forefathers and I do believe in the exodus and celebrate Passover yet I dont' believe that moses really parted the red sea

Torah » Torah's Divine Origins

Moshiach
The Messiah. Moshiach is the person who will usher in an era of peace and tranquility for all of humanity when there will be no jealousy or hate, wars or famine. This is a fundamental Jewish belief.
Passover
A Biblically mandated early-spring festival celebrating the Jewish exodus from Egypt in the year 1312 BCE.
Abraham
First Jew, and first of our three Patriarchs. Born into a pagan society in Mesepotamia in 1812 BCE, he discovered monethieism on his own. He was told by G-d to journey to the Land of Canaan where he and his wife Sarah would give birth to the Jewish People.
Jacob
Third of the three Patriarchs and father of the Twelve Tribes. Lived most his life in Canaan and died in Egypt in 1505 BCE. Also known by the name of "Israel."
Isaac
Second of the three Jewish Patriarchs, son of Abraham and Sarah. Lived in Canaan (Israel); b. 1712 BCE, d. 1532 BCE.
Exodus
1. The miraculous departure of the Israelites from Egyptian bondage in 1312 BCE. 2. The second of the Five Books of Moses. This book describes the aforementioned Exodus, the giving of the Torah, and the erection of the Tabernacle.