Must a mezuzah be nailed or screwed into the doorpost?

Why did the Sadducees dispute the authenticity of the Oral Torah?

Library » Best of AskMoses » Torah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Pinny: i have read in many places that the Written Torah cannot be understood without an Oral Torah

Pinny: and that anyone who knows anything about judaism will quickly realize that the laws and passages of the Written Torah are meaningless without the context of the Oral Torah

Pinny: that when Moshe received Written Torah at the Sinai, he received the Oral Torah with it, and that the Jews never looked at the Written Torah without the context of the Oral Torah

Pinny: So, all of this makes a lot of sense to me.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: ok

Pinny: What does not make sense to me is: if this is all true, how was it possible then to arise among Jews (not among gentiles reading Torah, but among religious Jews) a group that did not believe in the validity of Oral Torah

Pinny: and not in our times, when we've been in exile for 2000 years, but during the times when holy Temple was still standing

Pinny: (I am talking about sadducees)

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: i have a better question for you :-)

Pinny: ok

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: How was it possible for Jews to contradict the Written Torah! Not in these "exile" times, but 40 days after they HEARD G-d on Mount Sinai say don't make false G-ds, they made one!!! How?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: If you look at our history you will see that nothing was ever taken for granted by Jews, and there is always someone there to argue, disagree, or not believe in something!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: This is so because G-d wanted it that way. G-d always keeps things in balance, so if there is a lot of proof for something, there will also be very strong urges and mind games not to believe it. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair game

Pinny: so, did they have a rationalization for that?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: most people usually FIND a rationalization for what they WANT to believe

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: so to us something might sound absurd, but to them, or even to people today, who really want somethign they make it rational or at least pretend it is rational

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: this is common practice known in psychology as well

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: often you may see someone do soemthign and you think how in the world did they do that! Then you ask them, and they innocently give you this reason as if it makes perfect sense to them. And YOU wonder how in the world could they think that makes sense. Then you find out they really wanted to do it, so making sense wasn't the real issue

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: I will give you an example

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: there was a woman who once came on to askmoses to talk to me. She wanted to live with a married man. And she was arguing with me, and claiming not to understand what is wrong with living with a married man. She was giving me all sorts of reasons?

Philosophy » Creation
G-d » Creation
Torah » Modifying Torah